Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Turtles and Tomatoes

The first year we moved out here David mowed over a turtle and really scuffed up the shell - this animal became very fond of cat food - she'd live in my front flower bed and when we saw her, she was generally after the cat food on the driveway. Within a few more years another turtle appeared in the yard and had a bit of shell missing over his left shoulder.

Scuff had yellow eyes, Notch has red. I have not seen Scuff in a couple of years - I am not sure if she wondered off to mate -and she was healing so she may have lost the rest of her scuffing but Notch was in the yard near the pond this morning. Here I am watering and I see this turtle scuttling along with that missing shell. I scooped him up, cooing over him being around still, well away from the tomato patch that I have never seen this turtle get near. He didn't close the shell, didn't hide his head - just kept looking at me like I was the nut that I am. I literally pet his head - no fear. Scuff was never that friendly - she was shy and usually stuck her head out only to eat the cat food and then when we were not watching, she'd dive for a hole in the flowerbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment