Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Snakes at the Dragon

Remember the snake stories - here's David holding out the larger of several black snakes found this year. New neighbors may be the reason although we have always had black snakes take to the barn in search of mice. This was the egg eater in the previous posts. We just got this film developed.

We also moved some old carpeting to make a pad to keep grass from growing under some wooden tables and in the midst of those were a couple of ring neck snakes so we have variety.

I want to post some pictures of the cherry tomatoes so more pictures later.




2 comments:

  1. Is that what they call a rat snake? I know growing up in Tahlequah, we would get those black snakes that were eight foot long. A lot more scared of me then I was of them, but I use to hate to run across one in the hen house when I had to gather the eggs. Those snakes would puff up and rear up like a cobra. When I was 5 years old the snake would be taller then me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these are black rat snakes, there have been a couple of ring necks on the property and if they were that long you may have been face to face with the king snake -the biggest black that will literally eat rattlers. There's an absolutely excellent web spot for snake ID - oksnakes.com I think it is - pictures and descriptions. The neatest snake to me is the hog-nosed bull snake - those will act like cobras, hissing and flattening their throats to look like they are baaaaddddd. Then if they can't get away they play possum and the tongue will hang out and they go limp and they roll upside down. I guess the rat snakes like eggs - which makes them worthy of a trip down the road.

    ReplyDelete