Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hormone Free Turkeys

I found a post on craigslist for turkeys and I contacted them about Red Bourbons or Bourbon Reds - these are a red brown bird with a wide white band on the wings - a mid sized turkey that does not have to be reproduced thru artificial insemination but actually mates like a normal bird should. Sure enough they had some - Warner, OK. H&H Hatchery is working on Organic Certification and they have a wonderful selection of chicks. I got 6 unsexed tiny babies. We got lost so get a map or make sure you stay on 64 thru Muskogee.

I hope I got at least 1-2 females as I want to continue this line. Jim, the owner, said the odds stack that way. I'll keep you posted. I've never had the courage or desire to raise my own meat - but I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle a few months back and I may not eat turkey from my own home every day - but I'd like to know I could have meat on my table produced by my farm. The next test is to not become too attached to them - I love geese and we've had birds before but never could we bring ourselves to kill a chicken or duck or turkey for dinner. I know nothing about plucking them, I know you cannot let the guts burst when cleaning and I have 1/2 an idea where the guts are and I hope I can swiftly dispatch them but up to that time I want to give them a good home, good food and forage, lots of room and I hope they have a semblance of a family life as I even plan to let the hens raise their own young.

I know I am lucky to have room to raise 6 - more would be too much right now - I'll take pictures as they progress.

H&H had some of the fanciest grey turkey's and wild turkeys and I have a phone number and he takes checks after 11 on Sundays. I have the phone number - just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment