Sunday, June 14, 2009

I feel there may be a need for a Eastern Ok Chapter.

Speaking of young farmers. I came across this article about a documentary film called Greenhorns. I grew up on a farm outside of Tahlequah, but my skills are rusty. I would love to see a support group to help young people get started farming. There was a big fuss on the Yahoo Bee group about competition between beekeepers last week. Let me state my beliefs. The competition is not the farm down the road or the farm in the next county. The competition is the corporate agri-business that dumps cheap food on the US market from central and south America. Tulsa is a large enough urban area to support a strong locally grown food market. In years past farmers and beekeepers worked together to make a life for their families. It is not your neighbor you need to worry about. It is Monsanto, ConAgra, and ADM who are trying to destroy local agriculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment