Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Keeping Seeds Safe

Four days ago, David said the freezer is messed up - it did not get closed properly and we needed to thaw it out. I put it off a day - dumb! What's even dumber is that after all these years - I still had seeds in cardboard boxes - shoe boxes no less. I did stick most seeds into baggies too.

I know most people will advise you to keep the seeds in a cool dry spot. But when you read about the seed storage facilities around the world, they are deep into the earth, and frozen. I started freezing my seeds 16 years ago - and some of my seeds are still viable and 16 years old.

So I pulled boxes that were covered in layers of frozen frosty fluff. One box was literally froze at the very top - I dug into it tearing the cardboard and digging into it to pull every package of seed out - the only one that was absolutely ruined was the rutabegas, rutabeggas - heck, I can't even spell it. David had to have those old turnip like things. These seeds were wet, had germinated and needless to say, after the package dried out, so had the seedlings.

For three days I have been sorting, bought some very inexpensive plastic containers at a dollar store and it has taken 13 of them to hold all the seed - the last two containers are - well . . . not exactly anything in particular so I need to separate them a bit more. One almost took my breath - I dumped a small box of habanero peppers that had been dried and the capsican in those is scarey. I can guarantee cleared sinus and dead brain cells with that container.

So as a warning - use better containers than cardboard boxes for seeds in the freezer - the results could have been a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment