Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Della's Darlings

This bee gear look is kinda - well, you can't hardly tell who's who. Della Smith is adding bees to one of her new hives and she's on the left and Carl Harrison is using the tire iron to separate the frames to pull them out to look over the hive. The Bees were washboarding - as you can see by the darkness on the front of the hive.

This hive sits near the east side of the property line and these bees appear to be very tame and calm. We stood very near the entire process with bees flying all around and enjoyed watching and snapping pictures.

Here's David taking a very close look at the girls. I know he didn't think too much of the idea of having hives and yet, it didn't take long before he realized that these are not the bees of all the dramatic movies where someone is chased and covered in stings and laying twitching before being all but eaten alive by them.

3 comments:

  1. That is a calm hive. Doesn't seem to be many bees flying around. I hope everything checked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both hives are very calm - good bees but then Della has a way about her. I really like Della despite the fact she and I seem to have been separated at birth - I had not met her before her call to ask if I knew a farmer who wanted a few hives. She and I have a lot in common politically, how we feel about the planet, I think she's more ecologically minded than I am almost. The bees got really active as they worked the new bees on top of the old - lots of buzzing and again, they are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete