Monday, March 22, 2010

Food Deserts

I hear the term "Food Desert" and I wonder what is the cause? Is it Walmart forcing shopping to move from a neighborhood store to a more regional shopping center. Or is it a choice made by the consumer as to this is where I prefer to shop. My shopping choices tend to be places that have the brands I prefer in stock so I know I can get everything on my list in one trip. I am not a person who goes to the store more than once a week, and I hate it when I have to make a second trip just for one item that was out of stock.

For the past three or so years, North Tulsa's shopping issues have been in the news. When you have the Mayor driving across town for a shopping photo op, then you know its all politics. But is it worth the cost of 2.2 million going to one place or one entrepreneur? All your eggs in one basket so to speak.

I ran across the article about how New York City is trying to combat health issues and food deserts and the same time. I came to the conclusion that 2.2 million would fund a lot of vegetable carts, entrepreneurs, and community gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment