Sunday, August 23, 2009

Squash - Feast time

I planted just about 20 plants - most are all different varieties - black, yellow and white pattypans, yellow straight neck, papaya, cocozelle, greyzini, black zuchinni, eight-ball and zepher - half yellow, half green. I am now overrun. Same with the sweet peppers.

Yesterday, in an effort to use up many of them, besides selling them, I cooked stuffed peppers, stuffed an eight-ball zuck, made two large foil pans of two different kinds of squash casserole and filled the freezer.

I took some recipes from the net and modified them - one casserole had bread crumbs, 2 cans each of cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup, onions and peppers and herbs and the other was filled with rice and sliced tomatoes, basil, onions and peppers. I had the oven on from about 10:30 to 4:45. Today I plan to tackle Zuchinni bread - oh joy! I'd rather grow it than cook it - ain't that lazy.

Actually, I am often very worn out and tired by the time I really put in some major gardening. It took us eight days to put the blackberries right - we will need to continue to walk thru weekly and tie up the new growth - three rows will receive brand new supports in Sept or Oct and we will transplant that area fully before winter sets in.

But one of my casseroles tastes and smells like Italy and the other is warm and comfy with the creamed soups. The stuffed bells - nummy. Now I can work me butt off (wish I could literally) and still eat a homecooked meal or at least make a quick side dish with a nuke box.

I need some lazy time today - for a bit - but there's a ton of maters, squash, cherries are loaded again - not sure if I am complaining - or braggin!

No comments:

Post a Comment