Saturday, August 29, 2009

I may have posted about this group before.

I heard about the Chicago Honey Co-op sometime back and I really admire the service to the community they provide. Here in Tulsa this group and apiary would be illegal. I don't know why Tulsa and Oklahoma politicians stay awake at night trying to think of new laws to stop the local beekeepers from packaging and selling their honey. Seems like someone doesn't like the "buy fresh buy local" or "buy from the producer" model of business. I could see them using draconian measures in response to a major outbreak of honey born illness, but I don't think anyone can produce evidence or scientific research to backup the need for all these current and proposed regulations. Sometimes you just have to wonder who is behind all of this???

2 comments:

  1. So happy to see an urban ag blog from a Tulsan. I am a member of Chicago Honey Co-op and also from a long time Tulsa family. Raised there until I was 15. We are very lucky in Chicago to have a mayor that likes honey bees. We take care of hives on top of City Hall here. Equally sorry to see your difficulties with regulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit and nice comment.

    ReplyDelete