Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Making a new life just like the old life

I wanted to share this article with everyone. For those of you who has shopped at the Nam Hai you can relate to the part about the market. I go into the Nam Hai and I look at the produce and wonder what all the stuff is and how do you cook it. The Nam Hai has a lot of root crops. I wonder if they are different kind of potatoes?

There is a movie called The scent of green papaya. I could not find a link to watch it online, but I would recommend watching it if you see it at the rental place or in a bargain bin. The story is rather boring but the food and garden scenes are my inspiration. As I create my outdoor living space I want to replicate the house in the movie.

A quote from the article; "Without stringent regulations or organic certifications, the Saturday open-air farmers market still welcomes all comers." Here in Tulsa these families selling their surpluses would be considered criminals. As I was driving down Charles Page Blvd, I saw a hand written sign nailed to a telephone pole. The sign advertised Home Grown Veggies for sale straight from the garden. I didn't pursue the location of the garden to see if it was in the city limits (illegal) or in the County (might be illegal). But I could not help thinking, how have we gotten to the point that hard work, skills, and entrepreneurship are considered criminal activities in the City of Tulsa. Is it just to limit competition with the big box corporate stores? Or are there previous produce illness outbreaks that have prompted draco

Times are changing and we need to change our 1950's suburban sprawl zoning. We have to be able to be more local with our food. And if someone has a "Green Thumb" they should be able to sell their surplus with no interferences or burdens placed apon them.

1 comment:

  1. Hear hear - totally agree - it's crazy how we all have gotten so paranoid. I had a senior citizen who worked in Tokyo after WWII - she now goes to the Senior Center in Sapulpa. Told me that food is trashed at the end of the meals - can't be sent home for the seniors to eat later in the day despite the fact many can't cook a meal for themselves later. We take home doggie bags all the time from restaurants - but left over food at a senior center is trashed - fear of reprisal if someone gets sick I guess - better to just let them starve.

    A person can place a For Sale sign on any old wreck of a car, sell their own old used underwear or well worn out socks but not a tomato or squash without being arrested for farming. When did farming become a crime?

    ReplyDelete