Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cars and me

I went to town to get paint brushes so I can paint my sink for the farm building. I then went to Subway for a seafood sandwich and as I drove out of the parking lot - my car tried to die. I was so afraid of it stalling that I turned right instead of left and headed into the parking lot of a car parts store. I pulled into a slot and pulled out the owners manual - first time I have looked at it since we bought the car seven years ago - its a Subaru. It's supposed to last a lot of miles - owners in Tulsa have 700,000 + miles on their cars.

David just sold his Harley to a friend at work so he can trade it up to a Goldwing - they have airbags and David rides so faithfully and carefully but so many others don't. I was really thinking - isn't this the way it goes - he gets us deeper in debt and my car breaks down.

I sit in the heat rolling windows down and start looking up what Check Engine means - I am worried - big time. I find the info and it says - to the shop NOW no extra driving. So far to Ferguson in Broken Arrow - I don't think I can handle it. David's at work. Then I keep reading and it says that if we had just put gas in it recently it may be a loose gas cap - OMG - I go around to the other side of the car and open the gas tank and whirl it closed. Then just in case I open it again and close it again. I start the car and angels sing. It is running so smooth and just fine and the light does not come on again.

I drive home and look skyward - a quick 'thank you' is said. And I am a little happy that instead of panicking or freaking out I read the manual, found the problem, put it in order and got to go home. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment