Friday, December 4, 2009

The November No One Remebered

Wow - nothing in November. Second latest freeze on record, 70s during the days and often. Yes, I was waiting for a freeze - my greenhouse is loaded with plants to the point of no return. I have no room for new plants - what to do, what to do.

I have assumed the roll of putting the Buy Fresh/Buy Local information into an Access database - a simple job complicated by many ideas and suggestions. Inability to sleep has my mind frayed, a new pet cockatoo to take the place of our sweet little Moe has been similar to adopting a rowdy 2 year old with a severe overbite and an ability to truly bite your finger off. So far, she's been gold but still, entertaining takes time and a much needed rubbing at the end of the day is demanded by this large pigeon sized, two legged descendants of the dinosaurs. Until you have scratched the feathers off a small squab who gleefully raises each wing in anticipation clutching your shoulder with talons, you simply haven't any idea how much like a puppy or a kitten a parrot can be.

I haven't died - but it sure seems that email time is low on every one's list. Real contact seems to be limited for farmers - even at this time of year. Seed catalogs to peruse, or is that puruse - an odd word for "stare at" huh! Have you tilled yet - the freezes can kill some of the grass - fluff it up for that help.

Stack those tomato cages - this year closer - that walk to and from - insane!

The compost heap must be cleaned - I can grow bigger weeds in there than anywhere and what a waste. We have 14 pallets in groups of 2 making 3 bins with one side open and the top exposed - the wood had rotted - time to pull it all into the gardens.

My new beekeeper is a leaf collecting troll - she's got a van and an extra driveway to stack the leaves so once a week we drive over in the NEW Truck - a nice new (used) diesel with dump bed and side rails - and it is lovely for such a thing. I have leafs in bags almost as wide as my house and 1/3 as long about 3 high. We need to spend hours with the shredder - I love shredding but it takes hours. All of this will go into the gardens - tomatoes will be moved - to where the geese call home - because the gardens seem to be overrun with army worm refugees and the various wilts seem to claim the weak - a cleansing is needed - we have the space.

My 6 turkey chicks are now 3 huge birds (3 were lost) - a hen and two toms who seem to be as horny as any teenagers - one head scarf set them off and they strut and gobble as if they were the handsomest men on earth. I know this sounds weird and they are ugly in one way but in another, because I love my birds, they are handsome. The color had drained from their heads - a sign of lack of arousal and at first I was concerned - but with a flash of my shiny blue jacket and a bit of red glove, their passions turned those knobby heads into a festival of color. I will have to limit the hen with each tom so as not to overtax her - I'd love a dozen chicks for next year - those young toms will be destined for my table - and I pray I can butcher them well. At least 3 hens will be saved for future growth.

The geese have been given full run into the new flowerbed on the end of the house - the straw wasn't clean - seeds sprouted - there's nice fresh wheat grass for their tummies - so they take a bit of French sorrel with it.

And a few nights back the guineas were howling - chattering after bedtime - I sent my husband scurrying to check for the reason and a huge owl flew out of the tree - damn him. No loss - these are mean spirited guineas - strong minded - that's why they are still here. I have one Cockatoo, two spotted guineas, three fat turkeys, four honking geese and a New Truck - I have 5 days of Christmas. Hmmm - how would that go - One White Diesel Truck, four honking geese, three fat turkeys, two spotted guineas and a Cockatoo named Peaches.

Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment