Monday, October 12, 2009

Greenhouses and all that mess

Earlier this summer I planted all my lemongrass into the lower garden - Friday and Saturday we dug it all up out of the swampiness we call the lower garden. Plopping all the plants into pots just large enough to hold the tangle of roots, we wheelbarrowed them from the lower garden into the greenhouse. They are still too big for my gallon pots - so I'll create the 3 gallon potted plants I had for sale last year - plants big enough to begin using before you even plant them.

You cannot see much of the floor of the greenhouse - we cleaned and swept along the right side - picking up and moving pallets from the floor and sweeping all the webs and pulling all the weeds that insist on living in the hottest greenhouse in Oklahoma - no cooling system at all except the overhead exhaust fans. We have things in the greenhouse that should not be in the greenhouse - a bicycle that belonged to my sister - a sink I bought for my building - it needs to be sanded and painted and put into the building - but then there's the walls and the painting and all that goes with that work. So I sweep around things - clean up plants and man what I reaction I had to an Agave Americana - dang.

My arms got so itchy and my hands were driving me nuts - appearently I've developed an allergy to them - and I am not allergic to anything in the garden - not even poison ivy. I came in and washed my arms off and loaded them with cortizone cream - seems to have helped and the tiny whelps are going down.

I still have my knee pads on - so out I am going again - got the radio to keep me company and I'll plow thru part of the cleaning - but I am done with Agave duty for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment